Designing "Math that Sticks"
Would you like to increase engagement, connections and retention of student’s mathematical understandings? If so, join our community of math teachers/learners as we examine and apply research based strategies focused on how to create magical math moments to address these challenges.
In each session we will....
- investigate effective math teaching practices
- examine inclusive lesson design
- experience cooperative learning strategies
- collaborate with peers
- integrate technology
- participate in math from a learner’s perspective
- provide lunch and light snacks
Bring your electronic device and teacher materials - you will be provided time to infuse infuse grade appropriate ideas, understandings, and strategies into your curriculum.
- September 28th: Engagement - the why of learning. Focusing on engage students in the learning process. We will also have a panel of mathematicians to help us develop a better picture of what students need in Middle School and High School.
- November 2nd: Representation - the what of learning. Exploring the use of different representations and how those representations support students in making sense and learning mathematics.
- January 25th: Expression - the how of learning; Examining ways to promote more effective student mathematical discourse, including the use of effective questioning strategies.
- March 14th: Productive Struggle - How do we train students to not give up? We will explore ideas and promote reasoning and sense making.
- May 2nd: Evidence of student thinking - How do we use evidence of student thinking to promote classroom discussions and engage all students in the learning process.
How to Register:
A signature on the registration from stating that you have read, understand and agree to the Project Participation and Policies must be submitted before a registration will be accepted. No exceptions!!
Payment by credit card: ENROLL ONLINE
Payment by check or by Purchase Order*: Click on the date of program of interest, then download the paper packet from that page. Follow instructions on the paper registration packet.
*If your district has established an OPEN PO with us, obtain the Open PO number from your district coordinator and cite it on your registration form.
- Saturday, September 28, 2019__$45 through September 13th, $65 thereafter
- Saturday, November 2, 2019 __$45 through October 4th, $65 through October 28th, $75 thereafter
- Saturday, January 25, 2020 __$45 through December 27th, $65 through January 20th, $75 thereafter
- Saturday, March 14, 2020__CANCELLED
- Saturday, May 2, 2020 __$45 through April 3rd, $65 through April 27th, $75 thereafter
8:30AM – 4:00PM (lunch & light snacks will be provided)
UC Davis Mathematics Department, One Shields Ave., Davis, CA 95616
Please Park in Lot 46 on the UC Davis Campus:
2.0 CEU's - Completion of 3 workshops - $120
3.0 CEU's - Completion of 5 workshops - $140